Thursday, November 24, 2011

Angelina Jolie Says She’s Lucky She ‘Didn’t Die Young’


Sometimes it's hard to remember that before Angelina Jolie became a mother of six and one of Hollywood's highest-profile humanitarians, she was a troubled upstart living her life on the edge.
But Jolie herself hasn't forgotten, and she's telling "60 Minutes" that she's fortunate to have made it out of her adolescence alive.
"I went through heavy, darker times and I survived them," the 36-year-old Academy Award-winner said in an interview that airs this Sunday. "I didn't die young, so I'm very lucky. There are other artists and people who didn't survive certain things."
When pressed on the subject, Jolie held back but said something sure to let curious imaginations run wild.
"[There's] nothing I want to go into a lot of detail about, but people can imagine I did the most dangerous and the worst. For many reasons, I shouldn't be here. You just think [of] those times when you came too close to too many dangerous things, too many chances taken, [going] too far."
Before she settled down with Brad Pitt in 2005, Jolie had a reputation for dark behavior that her eccentric personality hardly refuted. The daughter of "Midnight Cowboy" actor Jon Voight, Jolie survived a troubled adolescence, to say the least: Before becoming a star in her own right, she often cut herself and admitted to experimenting with "just about every drug possible," including heroin.
Having cleaned up a bit as she entered her twenties, Jolie still continued to raise eyebrows, whether it was wearing a vial of blood from her then-husband Billy Bob Thornton around her neck, kissing her brother on the lips in public, or talking about her briefly considered dream job of being a mortician.
Even now, as the mother of six, Jolie says she hasn't completely abandoned her darker urges. "I'm still a bad girl, I still have that side of me… it's just in its place now," she said. "It belongs to Brad."

No comments:

Post a Comment