Monday, January 23, 2012

Milkha donates ’60 Olympics shoes for charity auction


Milkha Singh File photo
Chandigarh, January 23
Flying Sikh Milkha Singh had never thought that one day his ‘priceless shoes’ would bring a smile on faces of children of a lesser god. The living legend donated the golden spikes he wore during the 1960 Rome Olympics for a charity auction in Mumbai on February 11, to be organised by an NGO run by actor Rahul Bose.
The shoes would be put up for auction during the sports memorabilia organised by Bose. The actor had told Milkha that he had auctioned kits of other well-known sportspersons.
“There was a time when I used to walk a lot barefoot as I did not have shoes. Some things are priceless, but when it is a noble cause, those become a ray of hope for others,” said Milkha.
“I do not want someone needy to walk barefoot. I hope that the charity auction will fulfil someone’s dream to run,” he said.
“Rahul visited me about two months back and asked for the shoes. When I asked him the reason, he said there was a charity auction for the benefit of the blind and other children. I gave him the go-ahead,” said Milkha.
“I am not sure of attending the auction, but am leaving for Mumbai tomorrow for the shooting of my upcoming movie. I have sentiments attached to my kit, but am happy that the pair will be used for a noble cause,” he further said.
Earlier, the legendary athlete had donated a pair of shoes to the National Sports Museum. “I donated the pair so that youngsters saw the kits I wore,” said Milkha.

No comments:

Post a Comment